PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, July 20, 2012

Healthy AND Delicious?

I hate the term "health food".  It just doesn't sound so appealing to me.  I love all types of food and, honestly, it's not always healthy.  I find taking small steps to improve the nutritional value of the foods I already love makes staying healthy a lot easier than constantly depriving myself.  I will never be the type to live off of celery sticks and spinach smoothies.  


I absolutely love pancakes and waffles.  I like making them by replacing half of the white flour with whole wheat.  Not only is it healthier, but I find it actually gives them a more "nutty" flavor.  I also jam-pack them with fresh fruits, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and/or lemon.  The more flavor in the pancake, the less syrup necessary (make sure you always use real maple syrup--it's still sugar, but it's REAL sugar!).
 

These stuffed peppers are a great recipe.  They're low-carb, low-fat and packed with nutrients.  I used lean ground turkey with classic taco seasonings, quinoa, black beans, and just a bit of melted cheese over the top.  So tasty and absolutely packed with protein and vitamins.


While I was pre-wedding dieting last year, I found great value in cutting my meat intake practically in half.  Meat can be very healthy when you choose the right kinds.  Fish, poultry, and lean pork are great, but all red meats should be very limited.  One of my favorite vegetarian meals is the veggie wrap above.  It's made with spinach, corn, peppers,guacamole, and hot sauce.  The healthy fats in the avocado and the spicy hot sauce make it so satisfying.


Forgive the blurry photo, but these cookies are genius!  They're made with whole wheat flour, whole grain oats, banana (to replace the butter!), Chia seeds (look these up--they're AWESOME), and antioxidant rich dark chocolate chips.  I'm not kidding, these are so delicious and completely guilt free.


I'd love to hear some of your favorite ways to save a few calories without skimping on flavor! 

Enjoy your weekends

13 comments:

  1. Love the look of the stuffed peppers! They will be on the docket SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It s a very useful page. Thank you. 2a25d3a65d271a16fe5464a0c2c99f09
    tarsus
    cayirova
    semdinli
    bolu
    bor
    kirikhan
    harran
    mugla
    hizan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your article, it was very helpful and successful. 4fd8c8bcb407379dba34fec942c019a8
    sms onay
    website kurma
    numara onay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your explanation, very good content. 359b544e8d3cc5f91bf2421ceee3fa23
    altın dedektörü

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your article. 7acfb880b91ce92ab45f4304da179ad9
    evden iş imkanı

    ReplyDelete