PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, July 16, 2012

Greek yogurt craze

Another day, another adventure with the ice cream maker.  It may not be super obvious, but I'm actually really into living a healthy lifestyle.  I do treat myself occasionally, but I believe in all things in moderation.  I'm all about finding ways to satisfy my sweet tooth without completely undoing my day.  This recipe is THE BEST.


Start by combining 6 oz of fresh blueberries and 6 oz of fresh strawberries with 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and 1 tbsp of water. 


Bring the mixture up to a simmer and allow it to cook for about 10 minutes--until it looks like this^.
 

Allow the fruit mixture to cool completely, then add it to a food processor and puree it as chunky or as smooth as you like.
 

Fold in 1 1/2-2 cups of fat free, plain Greek yogurt.  The amount you add is up to you.  I like a fruitier mixture, so I add less, but it's a matter of personal preference.  I also add another 1/2 cup or so of fresh, whole blueberries for a little texture.

 
Finally, add the mixture to your ice cream maker and allow it to freeze for 15-20 minutes.


Eat it right away or put the mixture in the freezer for a few hours if you like a more frozen texture.  So creamy, delicious, and super healthy!

Seriously, if you have not joined the Greek yogurt generation, you're missing out.  It's thick, creamy, fat free, and has 22 grams of protein per cup!  It's versatility is another bonus.  Use it for sweets, on its own, or even for savory sauces.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. This had my mouth watering! It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete