PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, January 12, 2013

I got myself a new toy

A good, old fashioned, hand-cranking pasta roller.  And I love it.  Feel free to spend hundreds on a fancy mechanical one, but I swear, sticking in the stone ages on this one is the best way to go.
Still trying not to break the Foley pre-Mexico diet, I made a whole wheat-spinach fettuccine.  

I honestly don't use a recipe for this.  I think pasta making is more about feel than science-it just takes a little practice.  I started with a couple of cups of whole wheat flour on my countertop with a well in the center.  I added fresh spinach which I sauteed until wilted and pureed as well as 2 eggs, whisked.


Next, I slowly mixed the flour into the wet ingredients with a fork until it began to come together.  When a lot of the moisture was soaked up, I started using my hands to mix and knead the dough, only adding flour until a ball formed that wasn't overly sticky or dry.  Again, this is just about practice.
I kneaded the dough until a smooth ball formed; about 6 minutes.  And I may or may not have broken a sweat.


Next, I wrapped the dough in plastic and allowed it to rest for 20 minutes--this is a very important step!  If you don't rest the dough, it'll be way too tough and elastic and difficult to work with.  
Can we just take note of how helpful Bella is?  My little sous chef.


Next, I cut the dough in thirds.  I took one of the pieces of dough, flattened it by hand, and lightly floured it and ran it through at the highest setting.  I folded the dough in thirds and ran it through another two times.
Next I changed the roller to the next setting and rolled the dough through at least twice.  Continue this step until your dough reaches the desired thickness.



 Next, cut the pasta in whichever cut you'd like.


FYI: I kept my pasta pretty thick, so I had to go through and separate the noodles by hand.


 I then cooked the noodles in boiling, salted water for 2-3 minutes or until al dente.  Just make sure you taste a noodle to test that it's finished cooking.


I tossed the noodles in a veggie tomato sauce with white wine and Parmesan cheese-yum!  This will work with whatever sauce you choose.

 
I think I deserved my 3 glasses  glass of wine after all that work :)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment